Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Truth About My Parents


When Claude showed up in the entryway of Eric's house last night, I had no idea what he was doing there. He said he had something to tell me, something I needed to know, and it was clear it was connected to whatever he'd wanted to say last night, when he was telling me about Fintan's death, before Eric came back home. He looked completely out of sorts, and even though Claude can be a total drama queen, that's just not like him. He's not usually so... distressed.

I made him some tea, he clearly needed it, and we sat down on the couch. He began explaining the differences between sky fae, like he is we are, and water fae. He said that Niall's prince of the sky fairies, and that his brother, Breandan, is prince of the water fairies. He said that their powers have something to do with that element, but that the main difference is idealogical. He said that Breandan doesn't think fairies and humans should be together or have kids together or anything like that, and that he wanted any part-fairy people wiped out. Just hearing about it gave me chills, but nothing could've prepared me for what he told me next.

He told me my parents were murdered. He said that fairies could control the flow of water, and that the flash flood that killed my parents wasn't an accident. He said my great uncle, I think he's my great uncle, Dermot, helped kill them. It was never an accident. Breandan bragged about killing them, he was proud of it.

I could barely believe it. I still have trouble understanding. I feel sick when I think about it.

Claude says I might be in danger too, from Dermot or Breandan or the others. Fintan was protecting me, but they probably killed him too, and now he's gone. He was protecting me, and I never got to meet him or thank him, and now he's gone.

Claude's protecting me now, which I really am grateful for. He's been a really good cousin, and I know he must've risked a lot to tell me all this, especially when I'm supposed to meet Niall soon. All this should probably make me more hesitant to meet him, but I just... I feel bad for him. He's lost so much family, mostly at his brother's orders. It's sick, and it's wrong, and I can understand why he wants to reconnect with what's left of his family. I can't say I feel very differently.

Eric suggested going back to Bon Temps, to visit Gran's grave and to just... feel at home for a little bit. Once I told him what happened, he was really understanding. I know he hates when I "leak", but he comforted me like he didn't even mind. I know I'm really lucky to have him, and I know I really need him. I don't know what I'd do without him.

He said he'll help protect Jason, too. That's another thing. Claude says Dermot, who helped kill my parents, looks exactly like my brother. Exactly. It's so creepy to think of, but because of it, Niall doesn't want anything to do with him, and the rest of the fairies don't either. That might mean that Breandan might not be interested in hurting him, but if he tries anything, the other fairies won't protect him. Eric could tell how shaken up that had me, so he agreed to protect him, as long as it doesn't hurt me. I can't imagine that protecting Jason would ever put me in danger, so I'm not too worried about that. It's everything else that worries me.

It's only Tuesday, but already this week is pretty depressing. I hope it gets better soon.