Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Humans Can Suck Too



I usually don't work Sundays, but I had to make an exception today. One of the newer waitresses couldn't show up, car troubles or something, so I filled in for her. I didn't mind at all, except for one little thing.

I wasn't expecting to go to work, so I didn't make sure Eric healed my fang marks all the way. He closed them and all, of course, but didn't totally erase them. I like when he wakes up and sees them on my neck. He gets all growly and excited and all sorts of fun things happen.

That's what I expected to result from my fang marks today. Unfortunately, that's not exactly what happened.

I had to go into work, so I put on one of those cute little scarves I bought just for that reason. They hide fang marks, plus, they go really well with my uniform. Add that personal touch, you know?

Unfortunately, with those scarves, everyone knows what they're for. It's not really hiding fang marks it everyone knows what's under the cute scarves.

That's when I wish I could block out thoughts better. They're not always kind. Really, they're almost never kind.

I got called a fangbanger and so many other names today. I'm used to it by now. I've been with Eric almost a year, and Bill for a long time before that, but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt at some level. I kept that stupid, sunny smile on my face so firmly that my friends were asking what was wrong, but I didn't want to say.

Instead, I just got through my shift as fast as possible, and then practically sped home to Eric. For once, I was real glad he got me a fast car. He was awake when I got home, and alarmed that I was upset, but alarmed turned to angry when he found out why. I had to stop him from going all the way to Bon Temps for who knows what. He stayed at home with me, though, and after he calmed down, he made me feel a lot better.

People accuse vampires of being insensitive and of not having feelings, but Eric definitely knows when I need him to hold me close and tell me he loves me. I love that about him. And I love that he doesn't care what anyone else thinks about him, me, or us. I'm pretty sure he doesn't care enough for the both of us, and at times like this, that's appreciated.