Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Peace Never Lasts

 



I used to feel like my life was one big disaster, like it would never calm down, like we would always be fighting for our lives.

Lately, everything's felt more... settled. It's been a long time, I guess, since there's been any real danger around here. There's the day-to-day stuff, and the vampire, were, and fae politics, which always stir up a bit of trouble here and there, but nothing major. I felt like I could finally relax.

You'd think, by now, I'd know that's too good to be true.

No matter how many times it's happened, it's so jarring to realize that, in an instant, your entire life can come crashing down around you. That you can lose everyone you love. That there's nothing you can do to stop it.

After all, what good is one mostly-human against Dracula?

I'd hoped he was gone for good, but that's rarely the case when it comes to vampires with a vendetta, I guess, and @PrinceVladTepes sure has one against @RomanLucious. It goes both ways, of course. They're both out for blood, but it's not them I'm worried about. Not really. Roman's a friend, but no one's pulling him away from this feud. I think we've all accepted that. It's everyone else I'm worried about.

Dracula's threatening practically every vampire in the Area. He's gone after @SheriffNorthman before, and I can hardly stand the thought of it happening again. The thought makes me want to wrap my arms around him and never let go. Everyone who knows Roman's in danger too, not just the vampires, though I think they're getting it the worst. @VampyJo's in danger and probably @fangtastic_pam too.

@ClaudeCrane might be in the worst danger, and I don't even think he knows it. He certainly doesn't seem to realize how dangerous Dracula is, or the position that being Roman's new husband puts him in. I don't think any of us fully comprehend the situation of the two of them being married, really. Not yet, at least. Possibly not ever. He sounded entirely too flippant about it over the phone yesterday, but hopefully he really will keep me updated so I can tell Eric. I don't think any of us can afford to be caught off guard in this.

Part of me wishes we could ignore it, that it would all go away if we don't pay any attention to it or get involved, but that's the old Sookie talking. I know that's not how things work. I know Dracula will attack no matter what, and I know that if we're not prepared, I'll lose people I care about. I'm not willing to let that happen. None of us are.

I don't like any of this. The Prince is protected by vampire law. Just talking about killing him is punishable by second death, and there's been more than talk. He's a threat that needs to be eliminated, I get that, but... I'm scared. Not scared to fight, not scared for myself, but Eric and I are building a life together. We've built a life together, as have so many other people who're about to be in danger. @BrierFerrior and @BrookeFerrior with their kids, @VampyJo and @WerepireLucian and theirs. Our friends have kids, now. Families. I feel like we're standing on the edge of a cliff and, maybe it's just me, but I really don't want to see what's just over the edge.

After this, I don't think anything will ever be the same...